I always find myself drinking A LOT of hot chocolate in the winter. It’s such a warming, delicious treat!
I usually drink regular Swiss Miss mixes. However… they’re not usually chocolatey enough for me so I end up adding a little bit of this and a little bit of that until it’s at my liking:)
Enter a customized homemade mix. This recipe was made with ingredients already in my pantry (although the normal person may not always keep powdered milk on hand.)
It went from idea to reality in about 5 minutes. And oh boy, it is DELICIOUS!!
Why have I not made this before??
This recipe is made with deep dark cocoa powder. It also has chopped up chocolate chips to add an extra punch.
Make sure to heat your milk up until nice and warm so it’ll melt the chocolate chips. You’ll probably still end up with some specks of chocolate throughout your mug…. Which I kind of love. However if you want completely smooth hot chocolate or are worried that will make it too rich, feel free to omit.
Feel free to change up the type of cocoa, add in cinnamon, substitute semisweet or white chocolate chips, sprinkle in chopped up peppermint – whatever! Also if you really want to customize, after you heat up your milk, add in nutella or caramel, raspberry/ orange syrups or even Bailey’s or Frangelico! And don’t forget to top with marshmallows or whipped cream! The winter is just beginning. Go crazy!!
Decadent Dark Hot Chocolate Mix
Slightly Adapted from La Bella Vita
- 1 c. Dark cocoa powder (I use Hershey’s Special Dark)
- 1 c. Sugar
- 1 c. Powdered milk
- 1 t. Finely ground sea salt (If you want to make it Salted Hot Chocolate, add in 2 more t.)
- 1/2 c. Dark chocolate chips (optional)
- Chop chocolate chips in mini food chopper, food processor or with a knife until fine.
- Add all ingredients into a bowl or a 24 ounce mason jar. If using a bowl, mix with a wooden spoon until combined and put in an airtight container. If using mason jar, close lid and shake well. You might need to use a soup spoon to make sure it’s all mixed.
- When ready to make hot chocolate- heat up one mug of milk for 1 1/2 to 2 minutes in the microwave. Add 3 T. of mix (less if you’d like).
*This recipe will keep for a long time as long as it’s in an airtight container. Store in pantry. This would also make a GREAT gift!!