Tasty Tuesday + Valentine’s Day = RED Brownies!
Confession – I used up my red food coloring on my cupcakes, so these were actually pink. PINK Velvet… is there even such a thing?
These brownies have a fudgey texture and are packed with a little extra chocolate.
The cream cheese topping swirled on top adds a creaminess and a little fanciness too:)
So fun. Enjoy your Valentine’s Day!
Red Velvet Cheesecake Brownies
Ingredients for brownies:
- 1/2 c. (1 stick) butter
- 2-oz dark chocolate, coarsely chopped
- 1 c. sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 t. vanilla extract
- 1 t. red food coloring
- 2/3 c. all purpose flour
- 1/4 t. salt
Ingredients for Cheesecake Topping:
- 8-oz cream cheese, room temperature
- 1/3 c. sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 t. vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350. Grease an 8×8 or 9×9 square pan. (You can also line with aluminum foil or parchment paper.)
- In a small glass bowl, melt butter and chocolate together. Melt on about 50% for 1 minute. Stir until smooth. If needed, pop in for another 30 seconds or so. Set aside to cool for a few minutes.
- In a large bowl, whisk together sugar, eggs, and vanilla. When smooth, stir in food coloring. Pour in chocolate/ butter mixture and use wooden spoon to stir until smooth. Batter should be pretty bright red… if you want, feel free to add another 1/2-1 t. food coloring.
- Add flour and salt to large bowl. Stir until thoroughly combined.
- Pour into pan and use a spoon to smooth out. Set aside while you make cheesecake topping.
- In a medium bowl, beat cream cheese until smooth. Add in sugar, egg and vanilla and beat until smooth. (If your cream cheese was still chilled, this may take a while. DO NOT stop until it is smooth and lump free!!)
- Drop spoonfuls of cheesecake topping over prepared (RED) brownie batter. Swirl the batters together, bringing up some of the red batter into the topping and vice versa. Stop when it’s the look you want.
- Bake for 35-45 minutes, until brownies and cheesecake are set. A knife inserted into the cheesecake mixture should come out clean and the edges will be lightly browned.
- Cool in the pan completely before slicing and serving, either at room temperature or chilled.
- Brownies can be refrigerated, covered, for several days.