I can’t believe I haven’t posted this recipe yet.
I first discovered this umpteen years ago thanks to the great Emily Weller. She was the champion of making these guys VERY often and I got to eat them without the work… thank you ma’am.
These babies are uber moist and topped off with the perfect easy chocolate frosting. They are a little different than your traditional cookie blondies because they begin with cooking the butter/ sugar/ peanut butter in a saucepan.
We LOVE Peanut Butter Blondies. Myself and 2 friends even made a ridiculous video about how much we love them… which is basically just us having the giggles. That’s literally the whole video. RIDICULOUS.
I made them for my sweet hubby (along with a host of other treats) as he and the men on his staff went on a retreat.
And unfortunately he brought some of them home – ah! Other treats I can resist but these babies…. oh, these are so amazing they’re my special treat I’ll save my calories up for:)
Peanut Butter Blondies w/ Chocolate Frosting
oh-so slightly adapted from Joy the Baker
Ingredients for blondies:
- 10 T. salted butter, cut into 1 inch cubes
- 2 c. dark brown sugar (could use light if you don’t have dark!)
- 1 c. peanut butter
- 2 eggs
- 1 T. vanilla extract
- 1/4 t. salt
- 2 c. flour
- 1 t. baking powder
Directions for Blondies:
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Grease a 9×13 inch pan or grease/line with parchment paper/ and grease. (No worries if you don’t have parchment paper.)
- In a medium saucepan, melt the butter and sugar on medium to medium low heat. Stir together until just melted. Remove from burner and let cool for 5 minutes.
- Add peanut butter then stir until incorporated. Allow to cool for 5 minutes more, then whisk in the egg and vanilla. (Remember my unrealistic fear of accidentally cooking eggs? This could really happen here – let it cool the full amount!!)
- Set aside.
- In a large bowl, sift together salt, flour and baking powder. Quickly pour in peanut butter/ sugar/ butter mixture into the dry ingredients and stir until no more flour streaks (just barely incorporated.)
- Pour the thick batter into the pan and use the back of a spoon or your fingers to smooth out.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until a skewer inserted in the center of the blondies comes out clean. Remove from the oven and allow to cool to room temperature before frosting.
Ingredients for Frosting:
- 6 T. unsalted butter, softened
- 3 T. unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/4 t. salt
- 1 1/2 – 2 c. powdered sugar
- 3 T. milk
- 3/4 cup semisweet chocolate chips, melted (Joy uses milk chocolate)
Directions for Frosting:
- When you’re ready to begin frosting, beat together the butter, cocoa powder and salt.
- Add 1/2 c. powdered sugar followed by 1 T. milk. Beat well.
- Add another cup of powdered sugar, followed by 2 T. of milk.
- Melt chocolate chips in the microwave, in 30 second increments, stirring well after each time. Set aside to cool slightly.
- Add chocolate to the frosting and beat to incorporate. Add the final 1/2 cup of powdered sugar if you’d like it to be thicker.
- Spread evenly over peanut butter blondies.