Sometimes I’ll give something a try once and then if I didn’t love it, not ever make it again. Which, usually is a pretty good idea… why make something a few different times when it’s not good to begin with?!? But sometimes I made something and give up on it, then a friend will recommend it. Usually with enough prompting, I’ll try it again – with their tips:)
This was one of those recipes! It scored in allrecipes.com Top 20 recipes ever so I made it, but was underwhelmed. Unfortunate. But then my sweet friend, Em Weller told me how it is one of their favorites and she makes it for her hubs all the time! So – I tried it again. The difference? TRIPLING the brown sugar/ cinnamon topping – – because really that’s the best part:) This has now returned to my baking binder.
Banana Crumb Muffins
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 bananas, mashed
- 3/4 cup white sugar
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1/3 cup butter, melted
Topping: (I TRIPLED it on Emily’s recommendation… she might have said double, but you know…)
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3 tablespoon butter
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Lightly grease 10 muffin cups, or line with muffin papers.
- In a large bowl, mix together 1 1/2 cups flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt. In another bowl, beat together bananas, sugar, egg and melted butter. Stir the banana mixture into the flour mixture just until moistened. Spoon batter into prepared muffin cups.
- In a small bowl, mix together brown sugar, 2 tablespoons flour and cinnamon. Cut in 1 tablespoon butter until mixture resembles coarse cornmeal. Sprinkle 2/3 of the topping over muffins.
- Bake in preheated oven for 12 minutes. Sprinkle on the rest of the topping and then bake for 8-10 more minutes, until a toothpick inserted into center of a muffin comes out clean.