Fairly often I browse for recipes on the internet… allrecipes.com, thepioneerwoman, joythebaker, better homes and gardens, etc. Recently I was looking at allrecipes.com and a yummy, ooey gooey looking picture popped up and caught my attention quickly!! They were actually called Chewy Coconut Bars, but a lot of the reviews mentioned they didn’t have a ton of coconut flavor which was appealing to me. I was hoping this would be just like a chocolate chip bar on steroids – added a little extra with the nuts, added a little extra with coconut.
SUCCESS! I was very pleased with the result. The flavors complemented well and added a mild extra flavor and a good hearty texture. Also the dough was delicious – – just a side note:)
from all recipes.com
- 2 c. flour
- 1 t. baking powder
- 1/2 t. salt
- 2/3 c. shortening
- 2 c. packed brown sugar
- 1 t. vanilla (I added much more)
- 3 eggs
- 1 1/2 c. chocolate chips (I did 2 c.)
- 3/4 c. chopped walnuts (I did 1 c.)
- 1/2 c. shredded coconut (I did almost 1 c.)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease a 9×13 inch pan.
2. In a large bowl, cream the shortening, brown sugar, eggs and vanilla. Mix dry ingredients in a smaller bowl (I sifted onto a sheet of parchment paper and then used that as a funnel to pour the ingredients into the big bowl). Slowly add dry ingredients into wet and mix until well blended.
3. Fold in chocolate chips, nuts and coconut and mix well with a spoon. Spread evenly into pan.
4. Bake 20-25 minutes or until done. Let cool before cutting.