So confession – I did NOT make this pie yet this year. My sweet Grandma made this all the time when I was growing up and it is one of those pies that reminds me of my childhood. It is a little bit of a different pie, but it was an absolute STAPLE for Thanksgiving all my life. I love it!!
Strawberry Rhubarb Pie
1 1/2 c. sugar
3 T. quick cooking tapioca
1/4 t. salt
1/4 t. ground nutmeg
1 lb (3 cups) rhubarb, cut in 1/2 inch pieces (frozen is fine)
1 c. sliced strawberries (fresh or frozen)
1. Combine sugar, tapioca, salt and nutmeg in medium bowl. Combine fruit in larger bowl and pour dry ingredients on fruit to coat it. Let stand for 20 minutes
2. Prepare pastry for 9 inch bottom and lattice top (if you’re feeling fancy!). Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
3. Butter bottom of pie plate and put crust in bottom. (It doesn’t overflow so you don’t need a deep dish pie plate). Fill with fruit mixture.
4. Dot with 1 T. butter and adjust lattice top. Seal edges.
5. Bake in 400 degree oven for 35-40 minutes.
A shot of me baking Thanksgiving pies in 2009! I feel like I look totally different now?!?