So to be honest, I don’t cook fancy things every night. I don’t even cook every night! I have a full-time job that’s not baking (unfortunately) and (like many of you!) sometimes I don’t have time to come home and cook. Or I’ll make quick and easy things! I LOVE my crockpot and it has made cooking meals for my husband and myself manageable.
But sometimes I get the motivation and excitement to make a bigger meal. I was reminded of my Baked Cheese Tortellini with Bacon recently and the yummy creamy pasta was calling out to me. I wanted to make a similar dish with a twist! Hence, this meal was born.
I made up this dish as I went along… I encourage you to take the basics and be inspired! Throw in some roasted veggies and whatever spices are calling your name!!
Roasted Vegetable and Creamy Chicken Tortellini
Basic Method for Roasted Veggies:
- 4-6 zucchinis
- 2 onions
- generous pouring of extra virgin olive oil
- Preheat oven to 400 to 450 degrees.
- Chop veggies. Aim to get them all about 1-2 inches (fairly small, but still substantial) and similar sizes.
- Add a GENEROUS sprinkling of coarse sea salt, a GENEROUS sprinkling of fresh found black pepper and a VERY GENEROUS pouring of olive oil. (You could do a small amount too… I just love the olive oil flavor!)
- Spread out on a cookie sheet with sides (a jelly roll pan.) The veggies need space – spread them out in a single layer.
- Roast for 35-55 minutes. Check frequently. You want them to get nice and browned to bring out that fabulous caramelized flavor. When finished, let cool slightly. You can make this ahead of time for this pasta dish if you’d like!!
- 3-4 chicken breasts, chopped
- 2-3 T. extra virgin olive oil
- minced garlic
- tortellini or ravioli (any kind would be fun!)
- 2-4 T. flour or cornstarch
- 2 c. whipping cream, fat free half and half, milk (or any combination of the above!)
- various spices – I used salt, pepper, red pepper flakes, cayenne, turmeric, coriander. (The creaminess can overwhelm this dish so use A LOT of spices to get some good flavor!)
- few handfuls of mozzarella or parmesan cheese
- Heat olive oil and garlic in pan on medium high. Throw in chicken and sear the outside. Turn heat down and cook until chicken is cooked through.
- Meanwhile, cook tortellini or ravioli according to package directions. Drain; set aside.
- When chicken is cooked through add flour and cook, whisking for about 30 seconds. Add extra flour if needed. Slowly add milk, whisking constantly.
- Add a heck ton of spice. Taste often! Adjust thickness and spices as you like!
- Add in pasta. Add in roasted veggies. Heat. Spice again!
- Throw some cheese on top and broil.
- Serve with garlic bread and a salad or take it easy and make this the one and done:) Enjoy!