The air is getting crisper and the trees are changing into their beautiful orange and red shades. Fall is the perfect time to bake up some pumpkin goodies (if I haven’t mentioned that 10 times before) and use your crock pot at every chance you get.
I LOVE using my crock pot year round but especially in the fall and winter. I found this yummy looking soup on Pinterest and made it last week. It’s creamy and filling and makes a yummy and easy autumn meal! Don’t be scared that it looks like a lot of steps – – it’s really just opening cans and dumping in! Easy!!
Adapted Slightly from Real Mom Kitchen; Makes 8-10 servings
1 15-ounce can black beans, rinsed and drained
1 14.5-ounce can diced tomatoes with green chilis (Rotel)
1 15 oz can whole corn (not creamed corn), drained
1/2 large onion, chopped
1/2 bell pepper, chopped (pick your favorite color!!) optional
3 chicken breasts (frozen works great)
1 10-ounce can green enchilada sauce (you could do red too)
1 10.75-ounce can Fiesta Nacho Condensed Soup OR Cream of Chicken Condensed Soup
1 cup milk or fat free half and half
1/2 cup chicken broth
Salt and pepper
1/2 t. Minced garlic
1/2 t. Ancho chili pepper (or traditional chili pepper)
1/2 t. Paprika
1/2 t. Cilantro
- Line your slow cooker with a slow cooker liner- you won’t regret it.
- Now do the two most important things when cooking in a crockpot- PLUG IN your crockpot and TURN IT ON. [It only takes one time of coming home to what should have been a yummy meal but instead is raw meat sitting on your counter all day to ensure you do BOTH of these things. I seriously obsessively check it now. If I get my crockpot out and line it the night before, I leave it unplugged but turn the dial on. Then I hang the cord WAY over the counter so I don’t miss it. Before I leave in the morning I touch the sides to make sure it’s getting hot. (Keep it mind, it takes about 20 minutes to warm up fully, but you should be able to tell it’s doing so.)]
- Pour can of black beans in a strainer and rinse with cold water. It may bubble- just rinse a few times until the bubbling is mostly gone. Throw the beans in the slow cooker.
- Drain the corn the same way. Add to the beans.
- Add undrained Rotel, onion and bell pepper if using to the corn and beans. Stir.
- Place frozen chicken breasts on top. Do not be afraid.
- In a small bowl, whisk together enchilada sauce and condensed soup. Whisk in chicken broth and milk. Add in spices and whisk gently until mixed. Feel free to add additional spices or even a taco seasoning or other seasoning packet! Play around with whatever works for you!
- Pour sauce over top of chicken. Cook on Low for 7-9 hours or High 3-5 hours.
- Before serving, shred the chicken with two forks. Stir back in. Serve with cornbread.