Are you tired of pumpkin baked goods yet? I really hope not, because I’m just getting started:) I saw these on pinterest (shocker!) and they looked fun and delicious! Obviously they got added onto my “Goodies to Make” board immediately.
I love baking. I try new recipes constantly, but usually stick to cookies, bars, cupcakes and quick breads because they make me giddy!! On a whim I decided I should bake something I’ve never made before!
I never fry anything, so I thought doughnuts were never going to come out of my kitchen. But lo and behold there are BAKED doughnuts! These little bites of fall are really mini muffins dipped in butter and coated in a cinnamon/ sugar mixture. The topping is really what makes them taste like a doughnut – live it up!
For the donuts:
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoons nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon allspice
- 1/8 teaspoons ground cloves
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup canned plain pumpkin (not pumpkin pie filling)
- 1/2 cup low-fat milk
For the Coating:
- 1 stick of unsalted butter, melted
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Generously grease a 24-cup mini muffin tin with nonstick spray.
- In a medium mixing bowl, sift or whisk together the flour, baking powder, salt, and spices. In a separate large bowl, whisk together the oil, brown sugar, egg, vanilla, pumpkin and milk until smooth.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and stir until combined. Be careful not to overmix the batter.
- Divide the batter evenly among the muffin cups. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes or until passes the toothpick test.
- Remove the muffins from the oven and allow to cool for 2 minutes, or until just cool enough to handle.
If you’re not serving theses doughnuts the day of, put them in an airtight container uncoated.
- Melt the butter in a small bowl.
- Mix together the sugar and cinnamon with a fork in another small bowl.
- Roll each muffin in the butter then into the cinnamon sugar mixture. Serve quickly.