So it should be no surprise that my pumpkin kick is continuing. If I’m honest with you I got “over it” a few weeks ago… climbing on the chocolate/ trying new techniques kick…but now it’s back to the pumpkin! I’ve been baking SO many new things and am so excited to share them all with you. Every day this week I’ll be sharing a new goody so make sure to come back and check them out!
Starting us off…Pumpkin Oatmeal Scotchies
makes about 3 dozen
- 1 1/4 cup cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter (1 stick), at room temperature
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup pumpkin puree (not pumpkin pie filling)
- 3 cups old-fashioned oats
- 3/4 c. butterscotch chips
- 3/4 c. dark chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a medium sized bowl, sift together flour, baking soda, pumpkin pie spice, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, add room temperature butter and brown and white sugars. (If your butter is cold from the fridge, pop it in the microwave for 7 second increments. Rotate butter as you microwave it. It’s ready when you can gently squeeze it). Beat well until combined.
- Add egg and beat. Add vanilla and pumpkin. Mix on low briefly until combined.
- Slowly add in flour mixture. You can either continue to use your mixer or switch to a wooden spoon. Add oats and stir in using your wooden spoon.
- At this point you have one of two options. You can either put BOTH butterscotch and dark chocolate chips in your batter and proceed to bake (option 1) OR you can remove half of the batter and add in chocolate chips to one half and add the butterscotch chips to the remaining half (option 2). In option 1 you would get Oatmeal Pumpkin Dark Chocolate- Butterscotch Chip Cookies. In option 2 you would get 1 1/2 dozen Oatmeal Pumpkin Scotchies and 1 1/2 dozen Oatmeal Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookies. The world is your oyster – do whatever you want!!
- Mix your chips well using wooden spoon. In deep kitchen aid mixer bowls, make sure to bring the batter up from the bottom of the bowl – it can get missed!
- Once you’ve got your chips thoroughly mixed, use a cookie scoop or your hands to form the dough into balls. Place onto cookie sheets, a couple inches apart. Press down gently with your hand (these cookies don’t spread much). Bake for 8-12 minutes (depending on the size of your cookies.)
- Remove cookies from the oven and cool on the baking sheet for 3-4 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack and cool completely.
- Store in an airtight container. These cookies are very moist and keep for 5-7 days.