So these aren’t necessarily traditional drop cookies but I HAD to share!! We had our work Christmas meeting/ party at my supervisor’s house yesterday morning. She is a GREAT cook and baker and we ate a delicious brunch followed up by a handful (or two) of desserts. She had a cookie tray with EIGHT different varieties- impressive right?
Anyway, she made Oreo Truffles with Mint Oreos and they were so chocolately, rich and divine I knew I needed to make them right away! They were “so scrummy” (does anyone watch New Girl around here? Schmidt cracks me up!!!)
Slightly adapted from Kraft foods
- 1 8 oz. package Cream Cheese (I used 1/3 less fat!)
- 1 16 oz. package OREO Cookies
- 2- 3 C. Chocolate chips
- 2 T. Crisco
- 1/2 – 1 t. Peppermint extract (taste and add more if you like)
- Crushed candy canes for decoration (optional)
- Throw Oreos and cream cheese into a large food processor or mixer.
- Pulse or mix until thoroughly combined and into a very thick cake ball like dough. Yum!! I had to beat on medium- high for a long time… Maybe even 8-10 minutes??
Beat it until well combined, taste it, check the texture and beat a little longer:)
- Scoop into balls and pop into the fridge or freezer until it hardens. (Could be as little as 30 minutes or as much as overnight.)
- When you’re ready to assemble, put parchment paper on a cookie sheet and set aside.
- Melt the chocolate. Pour chocolate chips into a large bowl. Pop it in the microwave for 30 second increments, stirring well after each one.
- Add in peppermint extract and Crisco and stir until smooth and glossy. Taste it and add more extract if you want!
- Add a few truffles into the bowl and use 2 forks to evenly coat truffles, then take them out and place on the prepared cookie sheet.
- If desired, sprinkle crushed candy canes or other decoration on top. Refrigerate 1 hour or until firm. Store in tightly covered container in refrigerator.