I originally saw Irish Cream brownies and was planning on making them for the upcoming holiday. However, the morning I came downstairs to make them I realized we had zero Bailey’s. I’m not quite sure why I assumed we would have it, but I was disappointed to be in a baking mode and not to have my ingredients.
Thanks to good problem solving (something I use quite often when I’m baking with my pjs on and don’t want to leave my house!) I thought Kahlua could make a good substitute.
These brownies are a little bit different with quite the PUNCH of Kahlua. The coffee flavor is very mild. Feel free to change the proportions in the glaze if you’d like the coffee to be more of a star:)
Kahlua Brownies with Kahlua Coffee Glaze
Adapted from Baking Bites
Ingredients for Kahlua Brownies:
- 1/3 c. salted butter
- 2/3 c. sugar
- 1/3 c. cocoa powder
- 1 large egg
- 1 T. vanilla extract
- 3/4 c. all purpose flour
- 1/4 t. baking soda
- 1/4 t. salt
- 1/2 c. Kahlua liquor
Ingredients for Kahlua Coffee Glaze:
- 1 c. confectioners’ sugar
- 1 T. cocoa powder
- 2 T. Kahlua
- 1 T. coffee
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease or spray a 9×9 or 8×8 inch pan.
- In a medium bowl, melt butter. Whisk sugar and cocoa powder in until smooth. Set aside and let cool briefly.
- After cool, whisk in egg and vanilla extract quickly.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda and salt. Pour in butter mixture and whisk to combine. Pour in Kahlua and whisk well, until ingredients are combined. (No need to over beat.)
- Pour into pan and bake for 22-26 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean with only a few moist crumbs. Cool in pan on cooling rack.
- For the glaze, sift powdered sugar and cocoa powder into a small bowl. Pour in Kahlua and coffee and stir or whisk until thoroughly combined.
- Pour or drizzle over brownies. If you want the glaze to set, you’ll need to let it air dry (uncovered) for 2-3 hours. I liked my glaze runny, so I won’t do this step next time. However, they’re messier without the dry glaze so keep that in mind:)