Happy St Patrick’s Day!
I love celebrating holidays and do my best to incorporate a little celebration in every day life – even if it’s just wearing green or baking something with food coloring:)
Last year I shared my friend Kate’s Pistachio Cupcakes.
Earlier this week I shared some fun cake pops
and some easy super green cupcakes.
In case you haven’t made your St Patrick’s Day goodies yet, I have one last ditch recipe for you- mint layered brownies!!
Yumm, chocolate mintyness.
Green, mint filling squashed between a layer of brownie and a rich, chocolatey topping.
These puppies are fairly easy (although they can take a while due to the cooling time) and don’t they look so fancy?!?
I doubled this recipe for a 9×13 inch pan, but doubling the chocolate topping was WAY too much. You can see below how crazy thick it is which makes mine really rich and actually kind of hard to cut into as well.
I did NOT double the topping ingredients in the recipe below and I think that will be much better… just keep in mind yours will look different than these pictures:)
Chocolate Mint Brownies
Ingredients for Brownie Base:
- 1 box brownie mix
- Water, vegetable oil and eggs called for on brownie mix box
- (You can also use your favorite homemade brownie recipe)
Ingredients for Mint Filling:
- 4 oz. cream cheese, softened
- 6 T. butter
- 5 c. powdered sugar
- 1/4 c. + 2 T. whipping cream or half and half
- 1/4 t. mint extract or a few drops mint oil flavoring
- green food coloring
Ingredients for Topping:
- 1/2 c. whipping cream or half and half
- 2 c. chocolate chips
- 1/2 c. butter
- Set cream cheese and butter (in filling) our to soften.
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F (325 degrees F for dark or nonstick pan). Spray pan or grease bottom only of 9×13 inch pan.
- Make and bake brownie mix as directed on box. Cool completely, about 1 1/2 hours.
- While that’s cooling, make filling. In large bowl, beat cream cheese until smooth. Add in butter and beat until smooth. Sift in powdered sugar and slowly mix in until incorporated. Measure out the whipping cream and add in mint flavoring and food coloring to that. While mixer is on low, slowly stream in. (If you don’t have a stand mixer, just pour in a little at a time and mix on low). Spread over cooled brownies. Refrigerate about 1 hour or until set.
- Meanwhile, in saucepan, or in the microwave, heat topping ingredients over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, until melted and smooth. Cool about 10 minutes or until lukewarm.
- Pour topping over filling; spread to cover. Refrigerate uncovered about 2 hours or until set. Before cutting into bars, let stand 10 minutes at room temperature. Store covered in refrigerator.
And as always, I’ll leave you with the Irish Blessing that sat in my sweet late Grandma’s kitchen and now sits in mine:
May the road rise to meet you
May the wind be always at your back
May the sun shine warm upon your face,
and the rains fall soft upon your fields,
And until we meet again
May God hold you in the palm of His hand.