Years ago my parents compiled a binder of some of their favorite recipes and things they made while I was growing up. Waikiki Chicken was in there along with many other delicious things.
A few of which are my dad’s BBQ ribs, BBQ sauce and BBQ beans.
However the best part about this may be that for ALL these recipes (and others that he had in the book) he calls them “Dad’s Famous so and so.” Every single one. Hilarious.
But man oh man, I LOVE these BBQ beans.
They are the perfect complement to your cookout, grill out or crockpot BBQ sandwiches.
And they have bacon in them. Lots and lots of delicious bacon. Because I’m lame I use turkey bacon… But I imagine they would even taste more heavenly with thick cut real bacon. My mouth is watering just thinking about it.
My Dad’s “Famous” Barbecue Beans
- 1/2 lb. bacon
- 1 14 oz can pork & beans (I rarely have this so usually use ranch or pinto beans)
- 1 14 oz can black beans
- 3/4 c. Brown sugar
- 1 1/2 T. Liquid Smoke
- 2 T. Worcestershire sauce
- 2 T. Vinegar
- 1 t. Lemon juice
- Dried onion flakes
- Salt, pepper, garlic powder, parsley, red pepper flakes, a little oregano, a little basil
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Heat bacon up for about 2 minutes in the microwave. Pour off half or more of the fat.
- Add in the remaining ingredients and stir. Cover and bake for an hour.