Yesterday I shared about my parents’ birthday party. It was a BLAST to plan. Party planning is really fun for me. I love thinking through different themes and ideas in my head as I drive to work or fall asleep at night, scouring the internet for ideas and buying the perfect accessory.
The more I plan showers and parties the more I realize:
Details make all the difference.
Often when you look at pretty tabelscapes and party settings online, it’s the little things that make big impact – back drops, centerpieces, food labels, color coordination. You want a decent selection of food, but you can go more simplistic on the type of food if you put more effort on the way your table looks and the small details that make a big impact.
Food wise, I usually put a lot of effort into a few dishes, then make others very easy. A fruit tray, veggies and store-bought dip, tortilla chips and wholly guacamole, and cheese and crackers are substantial treats that offer variety but take little prep time. I wanted to make a big splash with the signature cocktail cupcakes, so that’s where I put a little extra time and effort.
Here’s my menu:
Kitchen Table (from left to right)
- Veggies and spinach/ artichoke/ Parmesan dip (Costco)
- Chocolate Coconut Cookies*
- Chips and guacamole (Wholly Guacamole from Costco)
- Cheese tray and crackers (Brie, Manchego, White Cheddar)
- Fruit platter
- Gin and Tonic Cupcakes*
- (A family friend also brought corn & bean salsa and chips – not pictured but very delicious!)
Dining Room Table (from left to right)
- Shredded BBQ chicken sandwiches DIY on Hawaiian rolls or pretzel rolls (Rolls from Costco)
- Chips and guac (you can never have too much…)
- Shrimp cocktail
- Smoked salmon (not pictured)
- My mom’s GF Peanut Butter Chocolate Cheesecake
- GF Rum Punch Cupcakes
- Rum Punch Cupcakes*
*Recipes for starred items will be posted soon
I’ll share a few of my favorite party details tomorrow!!