There are a few things that need to be experienced at least once a summer to ensure a good one:
- A trip to a beach or lake
- A good maxi skirt or dress
- A giant $1 diet coke from McDonald’s
- Cooking out
- Ice Cream
- Listening to your favorite ridiculous summer tunes – *N’Sync for me
- Sitting out by a pool
- AND…. S’mores of course!!
Now shockingly enough, I don’t love marshmallows. But in S’more form, I am ALL about it. I’m the kind of person who lets mine burn all around to get that black crispy crust. Isn’t that weird? I do feel like everyone has their perfect type of marshmallow. What’s yours?
Although I haven’t partaken in the traditional s’mores in a while, I daresay I found something better.
Let me paint a picture for you. A delectable graham cracker crust creating the perfect base.
A layer of moist chocolate cake.
A gooey layer of melted Hershey bars.
Another layer of chocolate cake.
Topped off by a melted marshmallow.
Served warm, melty and delicious.
Make your summer great.
Ingredients for Graham Cracker Crust:
- 1 1/2 c. honey graham cracker crumbs
- 1/4 c. sugar
- 5 T. butter, melted
- Process graham crackers in a food processor until they are fine crumbs. (If you don’t have one, put them in a ziploc bag bang with the bottom of a skillet or mallet.)
- In a small bowl or 4 cup measuring cup, stir together the graham cracker crumbs, sugar, and melted butter until well combined. Set aside.
Ingredients for Chocolate Cupcakes:
- 1 box devil’s food cake mix
- 1 small pkg Jello instant chocolate pudding mix
- 1 c. sour cream or greek yogurt (plain)
- 1 c. vegetable oil
- 4 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/2 c. milk or half and half.
- 1 T. vanilla
- In a large bowl, mix together all ingredients using a mixer or a wooden spoon until well combined. Batter will be very thick – don’t be alarmed:)
Ingredients for Cupcake Assembly:
- 6 Hershey’s Bars
- 1/2 bag large Jet-Puffed Marshmallows
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line 2 cupcake pans with 24 liners. Add in 1 T. graham cracker crumbs to each liner. Press down with the back of a spoon or your fingers to flatten. It is VERY important to press down well so the crumb crust won’t fall apart. Bake crust for 5 minutes.
- Once done, add a heaping 1 T. batter on top of the graham cracker crust. Top with 3 pieces of Hershey’s chocolate and press down. Top with another heaping T of cupcake batter until it’s all used up.
- Bake for 18-22 minutes. Once down baking, top with a marshmallow and broil in the oven if desired. WATCH CLOSELY!! Do not walk away. Position the oven rack high so the marshmallows are close. It should only take a few minutes.
- Serve warm. You can heat them up for about 12 seconds in the microwave and they’re just as good. Gosh I love these cupcakes. Enjoy!