While in college, my housemates and I would often take “ugly face” photos. Now many college girls do “silly” photos… duck face or open mouth and the like. But us?
When we made ugly faces we made UGLY faces.
Our face making motto was “go big or go home.”
I’m embarrassed that this wasn’t that long ago.
THIS is the go-big-or-go-home version of cupcakes.
We’re not messing around here.
(That are moist and yummy!)
Cookie dough filling.
Cookie dough frosting.
Mini chocolate chips and cookies on top. Curry approved:)
I brought these to our dear friend’s going away party and they were gone in a flash.
Chocolate Chocolate-Chip-Cookie-Dough Cupcakes w/ Cookie Dough Frosting
Ingredients for Cookie Dough Filling:
- 1 stick unsalted butter, melted
- 1/2 c. packed brown sugar
- ¼ c. white sugar
- ¼ c. milk
- 1 T. vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 c. all-purpose flour
- 1/4 t. baking soda
- 1/4 t. salt
- 1 c. miniature chocolate chips
Ingredients for Chocolate Cupcakes:
- 2 c. all-purpose flour
- 1 c. unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 c. white sugar
- 1 t. baking soda
- 1/2 t. salt
- 1 1/2 c. hot water
- 1 c. vegetable or canola oil
- 2 large eggs
- 2 T. vanilla extract
- Prepare the cookie dough filling: (Feel free to do this the night before.) Beat the butter, sugars, milk and vanilla. Sift in flour, baking soda and salt. Stir together. Add in chocolate chips and stir. Refrigerate for 15-30 minutes or until dough is firm. Scoop out and place on parchment lined cookie sheet to freeze. (Freeze at least 30-60 minutes or overnight.)
- Prepare the cupcakes: Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Line two cupcake pans with 24 liners. Add water, oil, egg and vanilla in a large bowl and whisk until combined. Sift in flour, cocoa, sugar, baking soda and salt. Use a wooden spoon or electric mixer to blend until thoroughly combined.
- Bake the cupcakes: Place a ball of frozen cookie dough on the bottom of each cupcake liner. Use 1/4 – 1/3 c. cookie scoop and scoop batter into cupcake liners. Bake for 18-24 minutes or until tops are JUST set. You can check the doneness with a toothpick, but keep in mind it’s okay if you have melty chocolate form the chips or it comes out with the cookie dough. DO NOT OVER BAKE. Cool on wire racks.
Cookie Dough Frosting
- 1 ½ c. (3 sticks) salted butter
- 3 1/2 c. powdered sugar
- 2/3 c. packed brown sugar
- 1 c. all-purpose flour
- 3 T. milk
- 1 T. vanilla extract
- 1/2 c. mini chocolate chips.
- mini chocolate chips
- 24 mini chocolate chip cookies (I used this recipe and froze the remaining dough)
- In a medium bowl, use an electric mixer to combine the butter and sugars until smooth and creamy. Mix in the flour, milk and vanilla. Stir in chocolate chips and continue to mix until all is well combined.
- Frost cupcakes with a knife or scoop the frosting into a piping bag and pipe it on decoratively.
- Sprinkle mini chips on top and garnish with a small chocolate chip cookie.