There are a few things I love that are what they call “acquired tastes.”
I had my first “coffee” drink in college – a white chocolate mocha from Starbucks. While still insanely deliciously, that’s definitely not real coffee. Over the years I’ve come to love and appreciate this beverage. While I’m a vanilla latte fan and still take some cream and sugar in my coffee, I’ve grown up a little in my taste.
However I think almost everything is better in CUPCAKE form. These cupcakes are moist with a hint of chocolate. They’re drenched with bold, strong coffee and topped with a delicious buttercream. And I’m a personal fan of the crunch of coffee bean for garnish too.
These cupcakes won over some huge fans at my office. And hey they’re coffee – – so you can have them for breakfast right?
Cupcakes adapted from and frosting from Cupcakes! From the Cake Mix Doctor
- 1 yellow cake mix
- 1 chocolate fudge pudding mix
- roughly 1 cup of coffee, divided
- 1/2 c. greek yogurt
- 1/4 c. half and half or milk
- 3/4 c. vegetable oil
- 4 large eggs
- 1/2 T. vanilla
- 1-2 T. instant coffee (to taste)
- 3 oz. roughly chopped baking chocolate bar (or chopped chocolate chips. I used Ghirardelli 60% cocoa bittersweet chocolate)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line 2 cupcake pans with 24 liners. Set aside.
- Mix yellow cake mix, pudding mix, 1/3 c. coffee, greek yogurt, milk and vegetable oil together with a wooden spoon or an electric mixer. Add in 4 large eggs and mix well.
- Mix or beat on medium high for about 2 minutes or until ingredients are well incorporated and fluffy.
- Stir in vanilla, instant coffee and chopped chocolate.
- Use 1/4 c. measuring cup and scoop out batter into cupcake liners. Bake for 18-20 minutes.
- When cupcakes are done, let cool for about 5 minutes. Put foil underneath a wire rack and put cupcakes on top. Use remaining coffee and brush on top generously.
- Let cool and prepare frosting.
Mocha Buttercream Frosting
- 3/8 c. milk
- 1 1/2 heaping t. instant coffee
- 12 T. (1 1/2 sticks) of softened butter
- 3 oz chocolate
- 5 1/4 c. – 5 3/4 c. powdered sugar
- 1 1/2 T. milk (optional – only if needed)
- coffee beans (for garnish)
- Heat milk and instant coffee in microwave for about 30-45 seconds.
- Put butter and chocolate in a large bowl. Pour coffee over top and beat for a few minutes until thoroughly combined.
- Sift in powdered sugar little by little, mixing after each time. Once mixed, beat for minutes until frosting comes well together.
- Spread or pipe onto frosting and garnish with a coffee bean.