I absolutely adore pancakes. One of our favorite things to do is go on breakfast dates at The Original Pancake House. Swoon and a half. Their pancakes and waffles are delectable. And their thick cut bacon is the best around. Seriously. If you’ve never been, schedule a time to go RIGHT NOW.
Anyway, since our 5k was in the evening, I knew I wanted to cook a nice breakfast. I planned on making pancakes but wanted to sass mine up a little bit. And even though I need to go to the grocery store, I still had a big container of blueberries in the fridge (and a lemon!) SCORE!
I love these blueberry pancakes… the way those little berries burst when you cut into them, the lint of lemon, how moist and thick these pancakes are, and how when you’re done, your plate is purple :)
Blueberry Lemon Pancakes
- 1 stick salted butter
- 1/2 c. skim milk
- 1/2 c. Half and half
- 1 T. Vinegar
- 2 eggs
- 2 T. Vegetable oil
- 3/4 c. All purpose Flour
- 3/4 c. White whole wheat flour
- 1 T + 1 t. Baking powder
- 1 T. + 1 t. Brown sugar
- 1 t. Salt
- 1-2 T. Lemon zest
- 2 1/2 c. Blueberries
- Melt butter in microwave in 30 second increments. Stir and set aside to cool slightly.
- Mix skim milk, half and half and vinegar in a liquid measuring cup and stir. (Tada! Buttermilk!)
- In a medium bowl, add in buttermilk mixture, eggs, oil and butter. Whisk together until combined. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, add in flours, baking powder, brown sugar, and salt. Whisk together until combined. Whisk in egg/buttermilk mixture.
- Once combined, let sit for 10-15 minutes to let the buttermilk/baking powder react. Preheat your griddle to 375 degrees or medium heat.
- Use 1/4 c. measuring cup and pour on griddle. The pancake mixture is very thick, so use the back of a spoon to thin it out. When the edges begin to look dry and the tops are bubbling (about 2 minutes), quickly slide a turner underneath the pancake and flip.
- Cook until other side is golden. Keep the cooked pancakes in a warm oven (on 200 degrees or so) until you serve them warm with butter and maple syrup!