Soft pumpkin cookies. YUM, am I right? I posted these cookies last year but realized I only posted them with the cream cheese icing! Both icings are wonderful and I felt like I needed to bring these cookie recipe up to the surface again and share the caramel icing. Feel free to make these cookies big or small. They’re fat, dense cookies and smack you in the face with that soft texture and rich pumpkin flavor. I truly enjoy both icings… so maybe you’ll have to make both and see which you like best:)
Pumpkin Cookies with Caramel Icing
As seen on My Baking Addiction; Adapted from allrecipes
Yield: 24-36 BIG Cookies or 72-80 small cookies:)
- 1 c. butter flavored shortening
- 1 c. unsalted butter; softened
- 2 c. white sugar
- 2 c. canned pumpkin (solid; not pie mix)
- 2 eggs
- 2 t. baking soda
- 3 t. ground cinnamon
- 2 t. pumpkin pie spice
- 1/2 t. nutmeg
- 1 t. salt
- 4 c. all-purpose flour
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grab a cookie sheet (not non stick).
- Cream shortening and butter. MAKE SURE your butter is softened or this will look chunky and kind of gross. (It doesn’t affect the flavor, but it’s just less anxiety producing.) Mix in white sugar and pumpkin. Add eggs and mix well.
- Sift together the baking soda, ground cinnamon, pumpkin pie spice, nutmeg, salt and flour to get a little bit of air into it and make it nice and fluffy! Add to pumpkin mixture. Mix well.
- If you make BIG cookies, only put about 9 per cookie sheet. You’ll bake them anywhere from 12-15 minutes. If you’re making smaller cookies, you can put about 16 per cookie sheet. These will bake for about 9-11 minutes.
- After removing the cookie sheets from the oven, let them cool on the baking sheet for 5-8 minutes. Let them cool fully on a cooling rack.
While cooling… make the icing
- 6 T. butter
- 8 T. milk
- 1 c. packed brown sugar
- 2 c. confectioners’ sugar
- 1 1/2 t. vanilla extract
- Cook butter, milk and brown sugar on medium-low heat until brown sugar dissolved.
- Removed from heat and allow to cool slightly. Add powdered sugar and vanilla. Pour icing over cooled cookies OR pick cookies up and swirl in the icing. Let cool for icing to harden.