Do you know what an advent basket is? I first read about it on Molly Piper’s blog.
25 small gifts – one each day in December leading up to Christmas. Wrapped up and numbered 1 through 25, with the giver’s identity revealed on the last day (or as long as it can stay a secret!)
My dear sweet friends surprised me with one the Christmas of 2010. We had just completed a year of infertility treatment – after trying on our own for a year. I was at the point where I realized this journey was going to be a lot longer than I had expected and infertility felt like it was sucking the life out of me. I was grieving and losing hope. And for some reason, when you’re suffering the holidays can be difficult. When you know you’re supposed to feel joyful or when you see everyone else laughing and happy it magnifies your sadness and sorrow. I remember dreading the holidays that year, long before the season.
But oh, what joy my advent basket brought me! I felt so incredibly loved! And even though the days were hard and my emotions were so deep and so raw… every morning I woke up with a smile on my face excited to see what was my gift of the day.
SO – Who’s Christmas can you brighten this year?
I know it’s early, but it’s nice to have a lot of time to prepare. Want to do a basket? Here’s how:
- Decide who you want to do one for. The past 2 years I did a basket for friends I knew struggling through infertility. Last year me and Curry did one for our sweet friend Steph who had just moved away.
- Decide if you’d like to buy the gifts yourself or if you’d like to ask others. It takes more time and organization to ask others, but you can have nicer gifts (doing 25 gifts by yourself can get expensive!)
- Start shopping now! Walk by the Target dollar spot, find cute notecards at Michael’s, get shower gel on sale.
- Gather your gifts together and decide the giving order. I liked the start out smaller and get bigger and better as the days went on (ending with a bigger gift like a gift card or piece of jewelry or something.)
- Wrap in a cute order. Number 1-25.
- Coordinate how to deliver! My absolute FAVORITE delivery was when I literally knew a time the woman would be home and drove to her house, dropped the present off by her back door and quickly ran away! It was intense! It can be easier to coordinate a husband or random/mutual friend to deliver.
- Think of your friend and pray for her during this month!!
So… what are you waiting for?!? Who can you bless with an advent basket this year?