The adoption process looks different for many people. The process is very different between international and domestic and even varies from agency to agency. So in case you were wondering- here is what the process looks like for us!
- Connect with our agency and get the 32 page packet
- Complete the initial application to start the process and mail it in.
- Schedule an initial meeting with the director of our agency and get more paperwork to fill out.
- Begin filling out paperwork and going to 36 hours of foster care classes. (12 3-hour classes)
- Meet with our social worker at least twice.
- Complete a Meet Birthparents Letter and make a book all about our life for Perspective birthparents to look at and see if they want to meet us.
Once all of this is done, the home study is complete and we would officially be “on the market” which means social workers around Ohio would be actively showing our book to birth moms. If a birth parent is interested, then we would get the call that they wanted to meet us! We would get to know the birth mom and she would get to hear our story to see if we would be a good fit.
So as of right now we’ve completed the first three steps. We have gone to five 3-hour classes (and have one tonight.) We have gotten MOST of our paperwork done. Yay! Many of the papers are just filling out/ signing/ making copies/ etc, but there was one that is 6 pages of questions about ourselves. We actually got away for a few days last week and spent about 4 hours knocking that guy out. Bryan’s was about 8 pages typed and mine was 10. But we’re done with it! WOOHOO! We’re now trying to get our house in order and starting on our profile book. We’re trucking along!