My brother in law is a huge pecan pie fan. Bryan and I have had the privilege of meeting with him and his sweet fiancee for their premarital counseling over the past few months. They are getting married in August and we are so excited for them!!
I meant to make these bars for them two times ago but didn’t have time. The last time we met the only thing I had planned for dinner was these bars.
I’m not usually a huge pecan pie fan but I LOVED these bars! The bottom layer is a thick layer of flaky short bread. The middle is gooey pecan-y goodness. The top caramelizes into a thin nutty layer.
The verdict from our resident pecan pie fan? He went back for seconds… and then thirds :) It’s a winner!!
It’s best with ice cream… although I like to douse mine with a little bit of chocolate sauce to get a little derby pie flair.
Okay, a LOT of chocolate sauce :)
Pecan Pie Bars
from Land O Lakes
Ingredients for Crust:
- 1 3/4 c. all-purpose flour
- 3/4 c. butter, softened (1 1/2 sticks)
- 1/3 c. sugar
- 1/3 c. coarsely chopped pecans
Ingredients for Filling:
- 1 1/2 c. dark corn syrup
- 2/3 c. firmly packed brown sugar
- 4 eggs
- 6 T. all-purpose flour
- 2 t. vanilla
- 1 t. salt
- 1 1/2 c. coarsely chopped pecans
- Heat oven to 350°F. Combine 1 3/4 cups flour, butter and sugar in large bowl. Beat at medium speed, scraping bowl often, until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in 1/3 cup pecans.
- Press crust mixture evenly onto bottom of ungreased 9×13-inch baking pan. Bake for 18 to 22 minutes or until edges are very light golden brown.
- Combine all filling ingredients except 1 1/2 cups pecans in small bowl; mix well. Stir in pecans. Spread evenly over hot, partially baked crust. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until filling is set and knife inserted 1-inch from edge comes out clean. Cool; cut into bars.