Deep rich chocolatey cookies… yum! Oh – and did I mention these babies have mint in them?!? That’s what makes them Christmas cookies, apparently. I don’t make the rules, I just keep them… sometimes at least:)
This is actually my first time making Chocolate Crinkles. Crazy right? But this recipe was yummy and I LOVED the mint flavor. It was enough to get the chocolate mint combo, but not too much.
A random note about these cookies – make sure to put a decent amount of powdered sugar on them so it doesn’t disappear in the cookie batter while its baking (that will make the crinkle effect go away). But… don’t put too much or otherwise you’re choking and coughing on powdered sugar. Not fun.
Like most things in life, balance is key. My dad always says “Everything in moderation.”
Although… too many of these cookies wouldn’t hurt too much right? :)
slightly adapted from allrecipes.com
- 1 c. unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 c. white sugar
- 1/2 c. vegetable oil
- 4 eggs
- 1 t. vanilla extract
- 1 t. mint oil flavoring (or mint extract, or peppermint too!)
- 2 c. all-purpose flour
- 2 t. baking powder
- 1/2 t. salt
- 1 + c. powdered sugar (for rolling)
- In a medium bowl, beat together cocoa, white sugar, and vegetable oil. Beat in eggs one at a time. Mix in vanilla and mint flavoring.
- Combine the flour, baking powder, and salt; stir into the cocoa mixture.
- Cover dough, and chill for at least 4 hours.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line cookie sheets with parchment paper. (You can spray with Pam if you don’t have parchment paper, but it made the bottom on my cookies have yellow spots. No big deal, but just looks a little gross.)
- Pour powdered sugar into a small bowl or a large ziploc bag. Scoop or roll cookies into balls. Drop the cookie balls into the powdered sugar and coat well. Place on cookie sheets.
- Bake in preheated oven for 8-11 minutes. Let stand on the cookie sheet for a minute before transferring to wire racks to cool.
You might want to listen to some Christmas music while making and eating these puppies. I’m currently digging listening to the Vince Guaraldi Trio (Holiday) and Mariah Carey (Holiday) stations on Pandora:)