Aren’t they so festive? I find that cupcakes are a perfect party treat. They come in single portion (although no one would judge you if you steal 2… or 3). They’re delicious AND they’re portable. The best kinds of party foods can be held in one hand while you’re standing and talking to someone, holding a drink in the other hand.
Done and done. If you’re looking for a festive 4th of July baked good, look no further!
Homemade Funfetti Cupcakes
from How Sweet Eats
makes 24 cupcakes
- 1 cup butter
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 whole eggs
- 2 tablespoons vanilla extract
- 3 cups flour
- 2 teaspoon baking powder
- 2/3 cup milk
- 2/3 cup assorted brightly colored sprinkles + more for top of frosting
- To Make Cupcakes: Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Cream butter and sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer until fluffy, about 3 minutes. Add eggs and vanilla and beat until combined.
- Combine dry ingredients in a bowl. Add half of the dry ingredients, mixing until just combined. Add the milk. Once mixed, add remaining dry ingredients. Fold in assorted sprinkles.
- Pour into cupcake tins and fill 2/3 of the way full. Bake for 15-18 minutes. Make frosting!!
THE BEST Buttercream Frosting
Frosting adapted from joy the baker, originally from The Hummingbird Bakery Cookbook
- 4 c. powdered sugar, sifted
- 10 T. unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 4 T. whole milk
- 1/2 T. vanilla extract
- Beat the butter. Add in powdered sugar and beat on medium speed for a few minutes until fluffy.
- Slowly add in milk and vanilla extract and mix on low.
- Once incorporated, turn the mixer to high and beat until the frosting is light and fluffy, at least 5 minutes. The longer the frosting is beaten, the fluffier and lighter it becomes. There is usually a point during making frosting it looks curdled and gross and I think I’ve ruined it. Keep going!! If you have a kitchen aid mixer, put it on high and walk away for a few minutes. SERIOUSLY, the longer you beat it, the fluffier and lighter it will be. It’s like magic
- Let you cupcakes cool, then frost and decorate!